Saturday, October 28, 2006

Welcome to Britain- Don't Clog the Crapper

Ok, so flying 15 hours isn’t that big of deal. Sure the meals were sparse and the soda divvied out more stingy than water to one of those “Survivor” contestants. All I can say is, I got on a plane, blah blah blah, got off the plane and got on another plane, blah blah blah blah blah (notice the more blah’s- longer flight).

We got to England at about 1pm UK time, which is like the day before yesterday, or something like that, US time. We made it through customs quicker, and with fewer bag and cavity searches, than my last VA exam. “Clean as a whistle”.

We met out charming hosts, David and Becky and they tamped our luggage into their car. I think we over packed. Theone had one bag that was just slightly larger than our walk in closet back home. It even had a basement full of unpacked boxes we need to go through when we get home. Grrr! Ok, so maybe I exagerate on that point, but we did check 4 bags and carried on 2 bags (each). Never again. Next trip I am going to pack like it was survival school on Biorka Island, again. Nothing that can’t fit in a gallon size zip lock stays at home. End of story!!!

The drive back to David and Becky’s was a wonderful trip. Lots of oooh’s and aaah’s, like a Disneyland ride, except you’re driving on the wrong side of the road and they have more road signs than a pallet load of Milles Bornes games. They were every shape, color, direction and language. I think I saw a couple that were in Klingon ,just outside of Kent.

Our first plan of action once we arrived at D&B’s B&B (as their very cool home will now be called) was to excavate the luggage from the boot (that would be trunk in Americanese). That took about 4 hours of poking, prodding, taking pictures and marking out the area where the boot was supposed to have been originally. Somehow it shifted over the drive home. We climbed the 2 flights of steps to our room, unceremoniously shoved everything in and then went about making acquaintences. They are very cool folks. Quiet, reserved and much more mannered than this Polish, Lithuanian, Irish bohonk.

So, the B&B is a converted Oast. This is a place where brewer’s would dry their hops and stuff. Built in the late 1800’s it is 3 or 4 stories tall and just the coolest. Pictures will be posted to our Flickr site so you can revel in the coolness of D&B’s B&B.

Once unpacked we had to do the first thing that came to mind. We went for fish and chips on thr beach at Whitstable. It is just around the corner from homebase. Of course, everything is around the corner from homebase. There are so many roundabouts, there is absolutely no way I am going to drive. I am sure the first time I got behind the wheel and took off, we would end up in Ecuador or some other impossible place to get to from here.

Fish and chips were ok. Needed more ketchup, but that’s my call. I had a chuck of Rockfish that appeared to have been fried whole. It was quite the treat. During this time we were pointed out a shack that had just sold for £35,000. That is $70,000. I’ve seen larger ice fishing shanty’s on Lake Michigan than this place. Pictures on Flickr as well.

After fish and chips it was time to head back homeward. I hit the sack for a quick nap (3pm) and woke up at 9am. Woof!!! I must’ve been a bit jet lagged. Oh and bloated. I needed to hit the head right off the bat once awakening.

Let me tell you, their toilets are different, and you have to be taught the nuances to using the plumbing facilities. Or things will stop up. I mean plug up. To the point where your wife will need to find a cat litter box cleaner to make things better. Flushing the toilets here are like kick starting a Harley. I damn near blew out my R. elbow ratcheting up the 6th attempt at starting the unforgiving toity. In the end (heheheh), Theone saved the day and this problem has not occurred again.

Oh, they have the coolest shower. It has push button controls for the shower and a jet style bath as well. Of course, read instructions (or get them and listen to them) before using the shower. There are 4 main switches. Stop, 2 Red Squiggly Lines, 1 Blue Quigly Line and 1 Red Squiggly Line. Reds are easy: Heat. Blue, cold. Those 2 red lines though, hoochie mama. Do not be inside ready to get wet once those things go on. You can steam a lobster (or other sensitive areas) in the time it takes for that first jet of water to come out. I learned the hard way. Like always. I know better now.

Day 2 was much better. We took a couple of trips to a couple of Norman Churches. They were built around the 1100’s, maybe earlier. It was incredible. Once of them had a baptismal font that was from the 1500’s and there were grave markers inside the church. One was from 1623. America is such an infant (in more ways than one) compared to the UK and overseas in general.

Next stop- Canterbury Cathedral. All I can say is woof. Other than the Starbucks just inside the main gate (my god, are they everywhere now???), it was like stepping bak in time. We breezed through the Catherdral in record time, but saw many interesting things. The memorial stone of Thomas Beckett (Archbishop of Canterbury killed in 1170) and graffitti from the 1300’s. I took some pictures of a dainty hand and foot that had been carved into the wall and saw tons of names and scribblings from all down the centuries.

Our next trip to Canterbury will be by bus. There is absolutely no parking and the lanes, roundabouts, Archimedean Geometrical Road anomalies, et al., make me want to scream: “How do you get around???”. First off, the lanes may as well be bike lanes. I’ve seen narrower sidewalks and rope bridges than the roads in Canterbury. It may be like this in every large city. Guess I will have to wait and see. There is no way my Pacifica would be able to maneuver around these streets. I would be better off driving a snow plow with one of those huge V-plows in front.

Other than that, and the fact that the dollar is so low here (I paid $100 American for £41 Pounds British). Wow!!! Lucky for me the customs man was so gentle with his exam. I’ll get over it though. It’s only money. And we have 2 ½ more weeks of this. If I keep on about the cash I’ll be a nervous wreck. So no more.

More to follow. I am looking forward to what next adventure awaits

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home